Saturday, 7 February 2009

Toics 2, week 3, Identity

To withhold ones identity can be ethically wrong depending on the circumstances and actions wishing to be taken. For example having a different name in a game or a forum can just be part of that online interaction and if it is between friends there often there is no real problem. However deliberately withholding identity for purposes that could hurt someone is wrong.
To whether we should always use our full name is one I am not sure of. I am very cautious of the Internet and for some reason don't like to give my full name unless I have to, when paying for something. I am not sure why I don't like giving it as you could say that by not giving my full name I am withholding my identity, but i don't think it is as extreme as this. It is just so easy for people/companies to get hold of information on the Internet I feel the little I give is better. When participating in online social interaction I believe that subconsciously you could change your identity and expression to perhaps fit in with the group you are relating with. Maybe not to 'be one of them' but sometimes sharing the same views and expressing an interest can bring some closer together and not insult anyone. For example if I was to write in a forum with my family i might not start swearing and may talk about something i would think my Aunty would be interested in (which I may not be) just to please and have a good interaction. However these mannerisms and the way i would express myself may be more colloquial and different when conversing with friends.

1 comment:

  1. I've looked at all of your blogs now Kerry and it's good too see you getting the bit well and truly between your teeth here. To add "oomph" to your postings, let's see some reference to the lectures and the readings as well so that there is an experience-plus evidence-based discussion going on. Remember that you can always point people to example sites etc too, to beef things up.

    ReplyDelete